Friday, April 03, 2009

Coffee Break


Yesterday's cigarette tax news really fired me up and got me down. So late last night, to calm myself, I baked two loaves of biscotti, using a recipe that I found online, but have altered sufficiently to claim it as my own. A dear friend bought me an espresso/cappuccino machine for my birthday last month (replacing the two previous ones I had that died long ago). I still haven't perfected my foam, but the machine makes a great cup of coffee and I have learned to make these really good biscotti. As a break from all the serious stuff I've been ranting about, here's the recipe. It's a snap, give it a try!

MizB’s Cornmeal Biscotti
yields 12 – 15 cookies

Dry ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup cornmeal
1 tbs dried orange granules (or use 1 tbs fresh orange zest, but put it in with the wet ingredients, working it into the sugar with your fingers before adding the other wet ingredients)
1 tsp anise seeds
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp dried, ground ginger
½ tsp nutmeg

Wet ingredients
½ cup sugar
1 large egg
3 tbs olive oil
2 tbs melted butter
2 tbs orange juice
½ tsp almond extract
½ tsp orange extract

- Fully combine dry and wet ingredients in separate bowls
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients; blend and knead into a stiff dough
- Roll dough into log apx 16” long and 2” wide
- Transfer dough to flat baking pan (use parchment or wax paper; slightly flatten and smooth the top of the log
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour
- Pre-heat oven to 350˚
- Bake on center rack for apx 20 minutes – until firm, and top is just turning brown
- Remove from oven and cool for at least 10 minutes
- Using serrated knife, cut log into ¾” slices
- Place slices cut side down and bake apx 5 minutes
(until center is firm and edges are dark golden)
- Remove from oven, turn slices, return to oven and bake for apx 5 minutes more
- Remove and cool in pan for 10 – 15 minutes
- Serve with fabulous coffee (or store in airtight canister or plastic bag)

Have a great weekend, everybody!

No comments: